Sugarloaf Outdoor Center
Sugarloaf's Best Kept Secret...
Sugarloaf may be best known as an alpine skiing resort, but tucked away in the woods just minutes from the base area is Maine's largest Nordic center, featuring a modern nordic ski lodge. The Sugarloaf Outdoor Center offers cross-country skiing and snowshoeing on 90 km of groomed trails and ice skating on an NHL sized rink. The Outdoor Center hosts numerous Nordic races and family friendly events throughout the season. Trail conditions are updated daily on our Conditions Page, and you can check out our entire trail network on the Outdoor Center Trail Map.
Winter Fat Biking
Our trial program of winter Fat Biking has started and will occur on the Outdoor Center Trails from 2-6pm on Wednesdays, Fridays and Saturdays when temperature and trail surface conditions are agreeable; a bike trail pass is required for access and we ask that you check in at the Nordic Lodge to gain further details. Also, please visit the Winter Biking Ettiquete page for details or come visit us at the Nordic Lodge. Winter Biking Season Passes can be purchased at the Guest Services Ticket Office in the Alpine Lodge and Individual Afternoon Passes purchased at Guests Services or the SOC Lodge on day of or in advance.
We are asking that Nordic Skiers and Bikers abide by standard trail ettiquette:
* Skiers have the right of way and bike riders must yield to a descending skier,
* Travel on the right-hand side of the trail depending on your direction of travel,
* Allow others to pass by falling in single file lines if skiing or riding in groups,
* Maintain appropriate speed and always ski and ride in control so that you may stop or avoid obstacles and others along the trail,
* Do not ski or ride while impaired with earbud music at a level that you cannot hear approaching skiers or riders and be aware of your surroundings,
* Stay off any trails posted as CLOSED, and observe other posted signs or warnings.
* Bike Riding will only be allowed with the purchase of a Trail Pass on Wednesday, Friday & Saturday Afternoons from 2pm-6pm. The Nordic Groomer will be on the trails after 5:30pm and we ask that you plan you ride to clear the network by 6pm to allow for unimpeeded grooming operations to occur.
* The Narrow Gauge Pathway (maintained by the Town of Carrabassett Valley through the support of town funding) is always open to winter biking as well as skiing, snowshoeing, walking, and properly controlled Pets. Contact that Town Office for further information.
* The Maine Huts & Trails Network offers trail conditions HERE.
90km+ of Outdoor Center trails included with every lift ticket!
The Alpine Exchange program allows guests to ski the fabled slopes of Sugarloaf and trek the expansive Nordic trail network of the Outdoor Center all in one day. Every Sugarloaf lift ticket also grants you full access to Nordic & Snowshoe trails and Ice Skating Rink for the day, and includes equipment rentals from the Outdoor Center if you do not have your own gear. You must first purchase your Alpine Ticket at the Sugarloaf Base Lodge and then show proof of purchase to our staff. Operating hours for the Alpine Exchange Program are normal alpine resort slope hours, being 9am - 4pm.
The recently renovated Outdoor Center Lodge is the ideal place to hang out beside the fire and escape the hustle and bustle Sugarloaf's Base Area. With spectacular mountain views and homemade soups, sandwiches, cookies and baked goods at the Bull Moose Cafe, the Lodge might just be Sugarloaf's best lunch spot.
The Lodge also features a full retail store with the latest in Nordic equipment and apparel, as well as a full rental fleet of skis, skates and snowshoes to outfit you with everything you need to explore the great outdoors.
With 90km of marked, maintained, and patrolled trails, the Outdoor Center is Maine's largest Nordic center. Trails are maintained for both classic and skate skiing, and offer some of the most unique and spectacular views of Sugarloaf. Enjoy the solitude of the Maine woods in the winter and explore new locations!
The Outdoor Center offers miles of maintained snowshoe trails, providing endless hours of snowshoeing fun. Rental snowshoes are available, and snowshoe trails are blazed with trail markers to keep you on your journey.
The Outdoor Center boasts an NHL sized rink and a full line of ice skate rentals for children and adults alike. The rink typically opens for the season in mid-December and remains open until mid-March. We offer pick-up hockey on Tuesdays and Thursdays from 5-8pm (condition dependant).
Maine residents receive 50% off full-day trail fees and rentals every Wednesday of the season, except 12/28/16 and 2/22/17. Valid Maine ID is required.
Hours of Operation
Saturday & Holidays: 9am-8pm
**If the ice rink is closed we will close at 5pm.**
Tuesdays & Thursdays 5-8pm
Located 1 mile south of the Sugarloaf access road. Sign on south side of Rt. 27. Follow gravel drive 3/4 mile to parking area at lodge.
Most GPS systems and navigation programs will get you here using 3001 Touring Center Road, Carrabassett Valley Maine 04947.
To contact the Outdoor Center, please call 207-237-6830 or email us at firstname.lastname@example.org
Sugarloaf is pleased to offer wireless internet access at the Outdoor Center.